- High school boys? Fughett about ’em. Sure, it’s fun to have someone to hang out with. But there will be no long-lasting love in high school. High school romances that turn into marriages are a dime a dozen. Enjoy your friendships with other guys, but know that your soul mate is out there waiting for you. And he’ll love you as much as you deserve.
- YOU ARE NOT FAT. You’re not! Someday, after three children, you’ll look back and realize how skinny you actually were. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. Have confidence in yourself, and listen to your father- a smile takes you a long way. You don’t need frumpy old lady clothes, you don’t need to wear a second-hand used-to-be-a-bridesmaid-dress-now-a-prom-dress. Find clothes you feel beautiful in, and you WILL be beautiful.
- Speaking of beautiful, don’t cut your hair short. Don’t let Mom talk you into that old lady perm. You’ll regret it. I promise. In general, perms are NOT a good idea, but especially when your hair is short. You know, come to think of it, taking mom’s advice in anything hair related is generally not a good idea. Ask for your young, hip stylist’s advice. AND LISTEN TO IT.
- Don’t be embarrassed about being a church organist. In fact, when you get to college, take some organ classes. When you get to college, playing organ will be cool. I promise.
- Spend more time with your Grandma. There’s so many lessons to be learned from her. Watch her cook, and ask her how she makes things. You live right next door to her–enjoy that. It doesn’t matter if you are chatting every minute…even if you’re just working in the kitchen, side by side, cherish those moments.
- HAVE FUN. Go to football games. Drag your friends to the dances. Have parties at your house. Go out on a limb, and invite people you don’t think will come. Even the guys. You’ll be surprised–you’re more popular than you think. Don’t be an adult before you absolutely have to be- enjoy being young.
Hindsight is 20/20, isn’t it? What would you tell your teenage self?