Ringing in the New Year

Originally posted on 12-31-13

Eleven (now TWELVE!) years ago, I woke up around midnight on the 31st.  I was pregnant with my first child, two days overdue.  Contractions were strong, strong enough to wake me up.  I had a false alarm a couple weeks prior, and ended up being sent home from the hospital.  I didn’t want that to happen again, so I walked around the basement for a while, hoping the walking would make the contractions stop.  It didn’t.  The contractions were strong.

After about an hour, I decided to go wake Dan up.  I was nervous.  I woke up and told him what was going on. He, too, wanted to avoid being sent home from the hospital, so he suggested I go take a warm shower.  I agreed, and went in to the bathroom.  As I was getting ready for the shower, I discovered my panties were wet.  I turned off the shower, put on dry panties, and went to watch TV.  My panties were immediately wet again.  I knew what that meant.  I woke Dan back up, and told him to get ready to go to the hospital.  My water had broken.

It was a 45 minute drive to the hospital.  I was nervous and excited.  Dan made me sit on a towel, because he was afraid I’d mess up the car seat.  While getting ready to get going, I realized I had used up the last of the camera film at our family Christmas celebration two days prior.  We stopped at Walmart, and  Dan headed in to get film. I stayed in the car, counting contractions.

When we got to the hospital, I was checked, and did the usual things to get ready.  They did a test to make sure I was leaking amniotic fluid, and I was.  We settled in.  I remember working through contractions all morning.  We watched TV, and I remember the “year in review” shows that were on that morning.  I had back labor, and it HURT SO BAD.  It hurt like nothing had ever hurt before.

It was a long morning.  They had given me pitocin to get things going, because of my water breaking.  The pitocin made the contractions strong, and practically one after another.  I made Dan rub my back until his hands hurt.  Finally around noon I got an epidural.  The relief was so instant and wonderful I told the anesthesiologist that I loved him.

By three in the afternoon I was checked, and I was only 3 centimeters dilated.  They had made sure my water was completely broken, and had found meconium in the fluid.  The doctor was concerned, and came in and told me he wanted to do a c-section.  I remember being relieved.  I wasn’t scared of the c-section.  I was scared of pushing the baby out.  It had been such a long day, and I just wanted the baby out, and for everything to be over.  Preparations for the surgery went quickly, even with the searching for scrubs that would fit my husband.

At 3:59 pm, our Ethan Richard was born.  He weighed in at 9 pounds, 13 ounces, and measured 21 inches.










I was blissfully happy.










We rang in the New Year that year with our new baby.  We didn’t stay up until midnight.  I’m pretty sure we were asleep by nine.  It will remain my favorite New Year’s Eve celebration forever- the year I became a mommy.

Did you like this? Share it:

This entry was posted in birth stories, ethan, holidays. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Ringing in the New Year

  1. Dakotapam says:

    I still remember that day! Have a great day with your boy, and happy New Year! (no moscato!)
    Dakotapam recently posted..Working Mom Realities: Days OffMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge