Since school started, I’m now officially a full time working mom. I work 40 hours a week now, so my life is full- VERY FULL. In the last few weeks, I’ve figured out some working mom things that work for me:
- My boys set their alarm in the morning, get themselves up, dressed, make their breakfast and make their lunches. They are 11 and 9, and are perfectly capable of getting themselves ready. And they’ve been doing a great job!
- I do laundry on the weekends. I tried doing a load a day, but that ended up with clean laundry on my dining table for weeks. I start the laundry on Friday night after work, and we finish up with folding and putting away on Sunday.
- Meals have become MUCH simpler. I look for recipes that can either be made in the crock pot, or only have about 15 minutes of prep/cook time. We still eat good food, and we all enjoy it. You don’t have to eat crap just because you need to cook faster! Wednesdays are also breakfast for dinner nights- the kids love that!
- I make sure the house is straightened every night, and the dishwasher is loaded and washing when I leave for work in the morning. If we keep things clean during the week, it’s easier to do the other cleaning jobs on the weekend.
- My kids have chores! The boys alternate collecting garbage, they all put their own clothes away and take their laundry downstairs, and all three switch off emptying the dishwasher. I can’t do it all alone. In that respect, too, Dan also helps, with everything from cleaning to grocery shopping. Sometimes the jobs don’t get done exactly as I would do them, but at least they’re done.
- Weekends are family time. I try not to schedule too many things during the weekend. Most of the time that’s the only time we get as a family. Even if we’re doing something as simple as grocery shopping and eating at KFC, at least we’re together.
Being a working mom isn’t easy, and it takes balance. But so far, we’ve been doing pretty well.
Are you a working mom? Have any tips to add?